Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Beginning



Being a senior in high school, I was still totally clueless to where I would end up the next year. Still I had not been accepted to a university, and that was not alright with me. April of 2009, trying to keep my options open, I heard about the Florida State University Golden Girls Dance Team and decided to give it a shot. At the time, I had been deferred from FSU and now was sitting on the waiting list anxiously waiting to find out whether or not I was going to be able to start classes in fall. Missing my Senior Prom, I traveled up to Tallahassee from my hometown, Orlando, with my mom to do the three day tryout for the Golden Girls. I had no idea what I was putting myself through. Being a much trained technical dancer for 7 years, the Dance Team aspect of dancing wasn’t really my forte. So at this tryout, I ultimately just gave it my all. Friday night was a master class with Coach Wendy Crawford of going across the floor doing dance moves and to learn the pom portion of the try out. That night also was the 2008-2009 team’s Spring Showcase that showed all the new girls and boy trying out what they were made of and how talented the team was. Saturday morning, bright and early began the teaching of the jazz and hip-hop portions of the tryout, and soon enough first cuts began. After that was second and then third cuts followed by an interview process with both head and assistant coaches Wendy and Rahseedah, and Spirit Coordinator Jenn Garye. Sunday was the final day with final cuts initially trimming down the 98 girls to 21. To my likings I made the 2009-2010 FSU Golden Girls Team, and was put on the craziest ride of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment